Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Georgianna Winchell Found

I have discovered what happened to Georgianna Winchell, the daughter of my gggreat-grandparents George Winchell and Sarah Livingston.  I did indeed find her living with her sister and her husband on the 1870 federal census in Great Bend, Susquehanna County, PA.  I learned from a biography that Ira N. Pardee married her sister Mary Lucinda on 12 October 1869.  The important clue was the 1880 federal census that lists Ira with Robert Steele and his wife "Georgie" in Omaha, Douglas County, NE.  The enumerator wrote that Ira was a visitor. His daughter Eva was with him.  

Today I found a marriage record for Robert and Georgianna in Webster County, IA.  They were married 11 December 1878.  Georgianna's name was given as "Georgie C.," though.  I've found an awful lot of relatives who went by a name other than that given to them by their parents.

On 5 June 1880, Robert and Georgie were living in Omaha, Douglas County, NE.  His daughter Bertie, who was 18, was living with them.  She was born in New York State.  I discovered from an 1891 directory that Robert was a manager at Mound City Paint Color Company (the company was bought by the Glidden Company in the 1950s).   I don't know if Robert died in Nebraska and that is why Georgie moved back to Iowa to be near relatives.

Georgie died 10 July 1911 in Sioux City, Woodbury County, IA.  She was buried in Logan Park Cemetery in that city.  On her death record, her name is recorded as "Georgie Anna W. Steel." Her birth date was off by 2 days and 1 year, which isn't too bad for an era where people didn't have to give it all the time.  Her father's name is correct, but her mother's was wrong.  It gave her birth place as Massachusetts, which was correct, and her occupation as storekeeper.  It would be nice to find a municipal directory that tell me what kind of store. 

It was not easy searching for either Georgie or Robert in Ancestry.  Not many records came up at all.  I didn't think those names were so difficult.  Maybe in the future I will come across more information. 

No comments:

Post a Comment