Friday, December 6, 2013

Find A Grave

Today I thought I'd tackle a project that I've needed to do for a while, adding my mother's siblings to Find A Grave.  The site was founded by Jim Tipton in 1995 to record the graves of famous people.  Over a million volunteers have been responsible for adding the 109 million on-line memorials.  Judging from my experience, I think a good portion of the volunteers are genealogists.  I have found information on family on Find A Grave that I couldn't find anywhere else.  The most helpful memorials have complete information on the person, including an obituary, parent and children information plus a photo.  People are able to contribute to memorials that already exist, to ask to take over management of memorials and to add memorials.  As of today, I've done all three. 

When I create a memorial I try to add as much information as possible to be helpful to anyone else.  I find I'm missing information on my mother's siblings.  I'm missing most of the obituaries and I don't know the burial location for some.  Unfortunately the state of Connecticut is not blessed with a vintage newspaper site like Old Fulton, N.Y. Post Cards which I tend to call just Fultonhistory.com, hosting over 25,084,000 files, the vast majority for newspapers in the state of New York.  I'll either have to find a way to either use sites with paid subscriptions or to pay my way to visit the state library in Hartford.

No comments:

Post a Comment