Saturday, July 12, 2014

A Crack in the Gatton Brick Wall?

I am wondering if there is a crack in the Gatton brick wall.  You may recall I've been trying to research my great-great-grandfather Albert Galatine Gatton. A break came February 2013 after Familysearch added new records.  I found a marriage record for Galatine Gatton and Hannah Wickoff for 15 March 1838 in Muskingum County, Ohio.  That's quite a distance from Auglaize County.



Galatine also seemed to have a close relationship with Isaac Gatton.  Both men enlisted in the Union Army on the same day in the same place.  There was an Isaac Gatton who married Amanda Spurgeon 1842 in Muskingum County.  He was the son of James Gatton and Rosannah Canner.  I found a little information on the web about the family.  There is a brother listed for Isaac named Galen Gatton.  James had a brother named Galentine.  Galen could be a shortened version of that name.  I wonder what the chances are that Galen Gatton and Galatine Gatton are the same man.  I will have to research Isaac and Amanda, and James' family to see if I can find more information.

I've just discovered that Familysearch has a lot of online information for Muskingum County.  That should keep me busy for a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment