Saturday, April 12, 2014

Results From Genealogybank

Recently I decided to buy a month's subscription for Genealogybank.  The closest free access to the site is in Pittsfield.  This is where I found the information on my great-aunt Edna and I thought I might find more.  Unexpectedly I found this funny story about my grandfather.

Kalamazoo Gazette, 22 October 1921, Kalamazoo, MI

‘THIEF’ WATCHES AS VICTIM RUNS
 
EARL WINCHELL HAS NO TROUBLE GETTING AWAY FROM THIS HOLDUP.

“Stick up your hands,” was the order given to Earl Winchell, 410 East Lovell street, who was walking along Maple street about 9 o’clock Friday evening.  A man darted out of the shadows and stood in front of him in a threatening attitude.

Mr. Winchell failed to comply with the command but turned and ran, leaving the highwayman standing on the walk gazing after his intended victim’s rapidly retreating figure.

The attempted hold-up was reported at Central police station and officers accompanied Mr. Winchell to the place where he had been stopped, but no one could be found in the vicinity that answered the description of the highwayman.




No comments:

Post a Comment